Spiced & Spiked Eggnog
Festive, sweet and slightly boozy, imagine a Christmas sweater but in the form of a holiday drink, warming you from the inside.
The eggnog's cheery coalition of lush, creamy custard and balmy, scented spices makes this the perfect drink to wind down on a cold winter night.
Concocting this Christmastime indulgence with the BRUNO Hot Soup Blender allows you to multitask, letting you concentrate on the more hands-on aspects of drink making without worry that your milk might scald or separate!
Delving into the deets
Regular eggnog recipes often require a watchful eye while simmering the dairy components to prevent them from curdling when heating them up. With the Hot Soup blender’s SOYBEAN mode, you can heat up the milk and cream without worry, as the blending motion mixes the dairy while preventing it from separating as the temperature rises.
Tempering is a method to add a hot liquid to a colder one without it congealing. It simply consists of adding a small amount of hot liquid, in this case, warm dairy, to the raw egg yolk while whisking vigorously to mix it in. This resulting in a smooth, velvety and safe to consume custard component.
This recipe provides an overview of basic, traditional spiced eggnog. There are, however, myriad other ways to zhoosh up your brew including:
- topping with dark chocolate shavings
- topping with whipped cream
- a candy cane garnish
- boozing up your eggnog with a cheeky shot of Christmas spirit, speaking of which;
Live a little!
Spiking an innocent mug of eggnog with alcohol is a time-honored Christmas indulgence. Might as well, it’s the holidays after all...
Some great choices include Whiskey, Spiced rum, Kahlua, and Amaretto.
- Add the milk and heavy cream to your BRUNO Hot Soup Blender and season it with pinch of salt. Heat up the dairy mixture on the SOYBEAN mode.
- Place the egg yolk and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk until all the sugar is dissolved, and the egg has turned several shades whiter.
- When the Hot Soup Blender has finished cooking, temper your egg yolk mixture by drizzling the hot dairy mixture into the mixing bowl very slowly, while simultaneously whisking the mixture. This will prevent the egg yolk from scrambling in the hot beverage.
- When you have whisked half of the dairy into the bowl, cease pouring and continue whisking for 30 seconds.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture back into the blender, and season with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Turn the blender on again, setting it to SMOOTHIE mode, to mix and froth up the eggnog.
- When the blending is complete, pour its contents into your favorite mug, garnish with a light dusting of cinnamon powder, and a cinnamon stick.
- Spike your eggnog with a cheeky shot of whiskey or your favorite boozy tipple.
Here's wishing you a season that's Merry and Bright!