You NEED to bring this trifle to your next Christmas gathering! It’ll definitely steal the limelight and you’ll probably get party invites till 2032. With layers of whipped cream, cake, and refreshing fruits, the result is a whimsical rojak of flavours that is scrumdiddlyumptious.
Our version showcases fruits grilled with the Grill Plate attachment of the BRUNO Compact Hotplate to soften them and concentrate their flavour so they exude their natural caramel goodness. Further elevate this Christmas confection by grilling the cake too, bestowing it with handsome grill lines and a warm toasty taste.
Delving into the deets
Grilling helps to soften the fruits for incorporation into the dessert and intensifies their natural flavour too! We used peaches and pears in our version, but most firm and fleshy fruits will make good grilling candidates — apples, plums, mango, and even pineapple will make suitable substitutes.
This recipe includes a saucy splash of Whiskey to help spread the Christmas cheer. Alternative alcohols for this include spiced rum, cognac, or brandy. Of course, please omit the alcohol if you’re expecting little ones at your party. If not, spice it up!
You can bake fresh pound cake for this recipe, but ideally trifle is meant as a method of using up uneaten cake or cake scraps from another recipe.
Specialty trifle bowls are available, but really any see-through bowl that’s large enough will work. The bowl has to be transparent though, as the prettily layered tiers of trifle are one of its main features.
Marinate the fruits
- Add the peaches, pears, and strawberries to a large mixing bowl along with the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon, whiskey, vanilla, and mint. Mix this all together and leave it to marinate for at least 3 hours.
Prepare the Mascarpone Cream
- Beat the whipping cream, mascarpone, and sugar together with a hand mixer till you attain stiff peaks, then fold in the diced strawberries and vanilla.
- Cover the cream with cling wrap and chill in the fridge.
Grill the fruits and cake
- Remove all the fruits from the marinade and lay them on a paper towel to dry. Reserve the leftover marinade syrup for use later.
- With your BRUNO Hotplate configured with the grill plate attachment, briefly grill the pound cake on medium heat for at most 30 seconds per surface.
- Grill the marinated pears and peaches at LOW - MED heat for (3 - 5 mins per side) until grill marks are visible on each surface. Remove when cooked and leave to cool for 30 minutes or till completely cool.
Construct your trifle
- Layer your trifle in a large transparent bowl for serving. Begin by applying a thin layer of the mascarpone cream on the bottom then arrange a third of the grilled cake on top.
- With a baking brush, moisten the grilled cake with the leftover marinade.
- Apply a layer of grilled peaches and pears, then sprinkle some fresh mint leaves and crumbled shortbread on the fruit.
- Cover the fruit with an inch-thick layer of the mascarpone cream.
- Repeat the previous steps; add two thirds of the remaining pound cake slathered with leftover marinade, followed by fruit, mint and shortbread, and top again with cream.
- For the final layer, place the remaining cake in the center of the trifle's surface, remembering to brush it with marinade. Stack some grilled fruit on top of that cake.
- Cover this stack with a layer of cream and lean the remainder of the grilled fruit against it.
- Garnish the trifle with the remaining marinated strawberries, crumbled shortbread, and mint.