Marinated Cherry Tomatoes
Fashionably served as a 开胃菜/ kāiwèicài (appetizer) at upscale Chinese restaurants, these cold marinated tomatoes are a perfect as a palate cleanser or a scrumptious garnish on your freshly blended Veggie Mary smoothie.
|1 punnet cherry tomatoes (Urban Tiller)|
|2 tbsp honey|
|1 lime (quartered)|
|6-8 seedless sour plums|
200 g hot water
- In a bowl pour hot water the sour plums and set this aside to soak.
- With a sharp paring knife, score a cross in the skin of each of your cherry tomatoes.
- Prepare an ice bath by mixing ice and water into in a large bowl.
- Blanch the cherry tomatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer your blached tomatoes into the ice bath.
- The temperature shock should have loosened all the tomatoes' skin which you can now easily peel off with your fingers.
- To a clean jar, add the peeled tomatoes, lime wedges, honey, the soaked sour plums, and their soaking liquid.
- Gently stir the mixture and lid the jar. Leave in the refrigerator and let marinate at least overnight.